Table of Contents
- 0.1 Types of Depression and The Medications Available for Treatments in 2019
- 0.2 chemical imbalance:
- 0.3 History:
- 1 The main types of antidepressants include:
Types of Depression and The Medications Available for Treatments in 2019
It is caused by a variety of factors. It can be biological, genetic, physical and emotional. Everyday life and simple environments are important. We know that stress and. Other negative influences contribute to this. Complicated diseases. Such as depression are not easy to solve. We also recognize the complexity of the human mind.
The medical profession works tirelessly. To try to study the mind and its functioning. A chemical imbalance in the brain causes depression. It is known. We learn more about how the whole process works. The best treatments come from more knowledge. The treatment for depression comes from. A variety of medications available in the market. There are also quick fixes. But they do not work. You should be careful to look for medications. That has been clinically studied and. That has demonstrated. Their positive effects in the treatment of depression.
There was a time in our history. Where you were thrown into a psychiatric ward and you got lost in the system if you were afflicted with something that was associated with a mental illness. It is good to know that this is no longer the case. In 1988, the antidepressant “Prozac”. That was launched in the US market.
It has been proven to work and. Therefore. It is still prescribed today. Although it can have serious side effects. There are several types of depression medications (antidepressants) used to treat depression. And conditions associated with depression. Such as bipolar disorder. These medications improve the symptoms of depression. By increasing the availability of certain brain chemicals. That’s called neurotransmitters. It is believed that these brain chemicals help to improve emotions.
The main types of antidepressants include:
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) are among the first antidepressants. That is used to treat depression. They mainly affect the levels of two chemical messengers (neurotransmitters). Norepinephrine and serotonin, in the brain. Although these medications are effective. In treating depression. They have more side effects and. Therefore. They are not usually the first medications used.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) are additional early procedure of antidepressant. These drugs are more effective in depressed people. Who does not respond to other treatments. They are also effective for other mental illnesses. Substances contained in certain foods. Such as cheese, beverages. Such as wine and medications may interact with an MAOI. Therefore. People who take this medication. Must comply with strict dietary restrictions (see below). For this reason. These antidepressants are generally not the first medications used.
- Discriminating serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are a fresher form of antidepressant. These drugs work by changing the amount of a chemical. These changes called serotonin in the brain.
- Norepinephrine and Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) are an additional fresher form of antidepressant. They treat depression. By increasing the availability of brain chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine. Medications affect the chemistry of your brain in different ways. Therefore. You can try several medications. Or combinations of medications and. To find adequate treatment for your depression.
- Most people find an effective medication in some trials. But for some people. Depression can be harder to treat. In various cases. A mixture of antidepressants may be essential. Sometimes an antidepressant associated. With a different type of medication. Such as an anticonvulsant and mood stabilizer. Or anxiolytic is effective.
Since then. A new class of antidepressants has been used more and more. SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Such as Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa and. Luvox are now used to treat depression. All have proven effective. But they have several side effects. Most antidepressants are thought to work by slowing. The elimination of certain chemicals from the brain. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters.
Neurotransmitters are necessary for the normal functioning of the brain. Antidepressants help people with depression. By making these natural chemicals more accessible to the brain. Antidepressants are usually taken. For at least 4 to 6 months. In some cases. Patients and their doctors may decide that antidepressant is needed longer. Antidepressants are divided into groups. According to the chemicals affecting the brain. There are several types of antidepressants, including:
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs).
- citalopram. (brand name: Celexa).
- escitalopram. (brand name: Lexapro).
- Fluoxetine. (brand name: Prozac).
- paroxetine. (brand names: Paxil, Pexeva).
Sertraline (brand name: Zoloft) these medications. Usually. They have fewer side effects than other antidepressants. Some of the side effects. That can be caused by SSRIs. Include dry mouth, nausea, nervousness. Insomnia and sexual problems and headaches.
- Amitriptyline. (brand name: Elavil).
- Desipramine. (brand name: Norpramin).
- Imipramine. (brand name: Tofranil).
- nortriptyline. (brand name: Aventyl, Pamelor).
Common side effects caused by these medications. Include dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and difficulty urinating. Worsening glaucoma thought problems and fatigue. These antidepressants can too have. An emotional impact on a person’s blood pressure. And the heart amount. Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors used:
MAOIs are used less frequently than other antidepressants. They can have serious side effects. Such as weakness, dizziness, headaches and tremors. Taking an MAOI antidepressant with another antidepressant. Or an over the counter cold and. Flu medication can cause a dangerous reaction.
Your doctor will also tell you. Which foods and alcoholic beverages to avoid. When taking an MAOI. You should not take an MAOI. If you do not understand the medications to avoid and. Also the foods to avoid. If you take an MAOI. And your doctor wants. That you to start taking one of the other antidepressants. He will ask you to stop taking MAOIs. For a while. Before starting the new medication. This gives the MAOI time to leave your body.
Herbal and Medician Treatment:
The market is also ripe with medicines and herbal treatments. Most of these tested products. As well as antidepressants contain an ingredient extracted. From the extract of St. John’s Wort called “hyperforin”. Some herbal remedies do not contain this ingredient of sufficient strength. So they do not work. Be careful and. Do your research and. You will find effective drugs to treat depression.
In this context. It must be said that the misconception that herbs for depression are natural and. Therefore. They have no side effects is totally false and. That the depressed patient must be aware of the potential risks. Risks of taking herbs for depression.
Although the use of herbs for depression is widespread in general. (perhaps with the exception of St. John’s wort). There is no definitive proof of. The usefulness of herbal treatments for depression. Especially compared to standard prescription medications for depression. Plants for depression usually cannot prevail. As a first choice treatment option. However. When other more effective treatments fail. In cases of mild depression. The uses of herbs for depression is worth trying.
In all cases. The user must understand the limitations and not underestimate. The risks associated with the use of herbs for depression. Although antidepressants. Such as Prozac increase serotonin levels in the brain. This does not mean that depression is caused. By a shortage of serotonin. After all, aspirin can cure a headache. But that does not mean that the headache is caused by an aspirin deficiency.
Theory of the Chemical Imbalance of Depression:
In addition, many studies contradict. The theory of the chemical imbalance of depression. Experiments have shown that reducing people’s levels of serotonin. Does not always reduce mood. Or worsen symptoms in people who are already depressed. And while antidepressants increase serotonin levels in a matter of hours. It takes weeks before medications intervene to relieve depression.
If the depression was due to low serotonin and antidepressant treatment would not be delayed. Studies concur that antidepressants and. Psychotherapy is an effective treatment for depression. It is even admitted. That a combination of the two may be more effective than either. One treatment may be more effective. Than another for a particular person. The art and science of mental health. Are not yet sophisticated enough to predict. Which treatment will be most effective for a given person.